DLL is Dynamic Link Library. DLL is a collection of small programs. These programs are loaded when needed by the larger programs.
Msvcp140.dll is a windows DLL file. When the missing error of the file occurs several inbuilt programs and other installed programs fail to start. Most of the times, the error occurs when the user tries to launch online games, WordPress, Skype and other services.
Why does the error occur?
The DLL files are constituents of Visual C++ redistributable for Visual Studio 2015. However, the recent applications require Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable package after Microsoft acquired the rights.
Apart from this, it can also occur due to corrupt or damaged system files.
Here are some solutions to fix MSVCP140.dll Is Missing errors.
Check the recycle bin
The problem occurs if the user has accidentally deleted the file. How to restore it?
Recycle bin à Locate the missing file à right click on the file à Select restore.
Reinstall problematic software
This condition is not a major problem. Take Skype for example to understand it better.
- Assume the user is launching Skype
- Skype fails to start displaying the MSVCP140.dll error
- Uninstall Skype
- Go to Start
- Select Apps and Features
- Find Skype (or any other program causing the problem)
- Select uninstall and follow the further instructions by Windows to finish.
Install windows updates
Windows updates are extremely important for smooth functioning of the PC. For instance, after acquiring he rights of DLL files from Visual Studio, windows updated its libraries. Now if the user fails to update, he misses this event. Therefore, the applications launched later loses its compatibility as the library is old and missing new files.
How to update windows?
- Press Windows key + I
- Choose Updates and Security
- Select Check for updates
System file checker
- It is an inbuilt tool of Windows used to repair corrupted system files.
- Click start à type run. The command prompt opens.
- Type sfc and hit enter.
- It starts inspecting every file of windows.
- The corrupt file is repaired
Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++
- Go to Control panel à Programs à Uninstall a program
- Right click Visual C++
- Download and install the appropriate file from the Microsoft web page
- Restart the computer.
Install the DLL file separately
This method is not only for MSVCP140.dll Is Missing errors. It is applicable for all the system errors related to DLL file.
- The official website of the DLL files is https://www.dll-files.com. The rights were initially with Visual Studio. Now Microsoft owns the rights.
- Download the missing file from the site
- Scan it before launching the file.
If downloading from a third-party website, check its review. Check if it is using HTTPS protocol. If the link holds HTTP, avoid the site.
One can also copy the file from another system using a pen drive or other file sharing services like Bluetooth. After copying at times, the file is not visible. In such cases do the following
- Type in “file explorer options” in the search bar and press enter
- Click on the view tab
- Under “Hidden files and folders”, select “Show hidden files” and press OK.
Perform a deep virus scan
Windows has an inbuilt virus scan option. To access it, follow the instruction
- Press Windows key + I.
- The Settings app is launched
- Select Windows security options. It is on the left pane
- On the right pane select Windows defender security Center
- Choose virus and threat protection.
- On the right pane select Run a new advanced scan
- Click on Full scan and then scan now. Restart the window after the scan is completed.
How to install .dll files in windows?
DLL files consist of codes and data. These data are common to several programs. When a program is removed, that part of the data on the DLL file also gets removed incorrectly. This causes the file is missing error. Therefore, one should manually install the program as follows
- Copy the .DLL file to the folder C:\Windows\System32
- After copying, on the command prompt type the following
What are the issues associated with .DLL files download?
- Downloaded DLLs may be outdated
- While downloading the DLL files from different sources, make sure their date of creation is after 2015
- One can find this by right clicking the file and selecting properties.
- The sites upload random fraudulent files simply to increase traffic.
- The sites do not provide complete set of DLL file packages. User gets an updated DLL file, but the other files associated with it are missing.
- Downloaded files can be infected
- The files downloaded from sources other than the official sites can be loaded with viruses or other malwares.
- DLL files with virus are highly harmful. This is like injecting an infection knowingly to the brain of the computer.
- The virus also spreads faster as the file is accessed by various other programs as well.
- When one DLL file is corrupted, it is a sign of inception of the infection in the DLL package. If one is not taking prompt action to solve the problem, there is possibility for the other files to get corrupted at faster rates.